Saturday, July 11, 2015

Memorial of Saint Benedict, Abbot

Everyone who acknowledges me before others I will acknowledge before my heavenly Father. But whoever denies me before others, I will deny before my heavenly Father.

We can acknowledge Jesus in many ways. We can meditate upon his life, death, and resurrection. We can proclaim him with our words, not just those offered up in prayer, but also in those kind or comforting words we speak to others. We can give glory to him also through our every work, great or small. When we act with faith, hope, and love, we acknowledge Jesus by living out his gospel message. However, we can also deny Jesus in our thoughts, speech, and deeds. When we dwell on evil things, complain about or put down another person, or commit a sin or fail to do good works, we reject Jesus in our selfishness.

In what ways do we acknowledge Jesus through our thoughts, words, and works? On the flip side, how do we deny him through these things? What can we do better in light of these questions?

O Lord, help us to acknowledge you in all things.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment