Thursday, March 9, 2017

First Thursday of Lent

God of Abraham, God of Isaac, and God of Jacob, blessed are you. Help me, who am alone and have no help but you, for I am taking my life in my hand. As a child I used to hear from the books of my forefathers that you, O LORD, always free those who are pleasing to you. Now help me, who am alone and have no one but you, O LORD, my God.

God is our only help. He is all we need to overcome every obstacle, to do any good work, and to live good and faithful lives. He brings us grace and blessings to aid us on our journey toward salvation. He gave us His Beloved Son to speak the Good News to us and show us the Way, the Truth, and the Life. He frees us from the bonds of sin, offers us armor against temptations, and trains us in the virtues we need to defend ourselves and others from evil. As long as we do what is right and pleasing to God, then He shall give us every support we need to make it through the trials of this life and triumph over all that stands between us and heaven.

Do we pray to God for His help when we are in need? Are we receptive of His aid in whatever form it might come, even when it is not exactly what we wanted? How can we learn to depend upon God more than upon ourselves?

O Lord, we have no help, but you.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment