Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Solemnity Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe

Pilate said to Jesus, "Are you the King of the Jews?" Jesus answered, "Do you say this on your own or have others told you about me?"  Pilate answered, "I am not a Jew, am I? Your own nation and the chief priests handed you over to me. What have you done?" Jesus answered, "My kingdom does not belong to this world. If my kingdom did belong to this world, my attendants would be fighting to keep me from being handed over to the Jews. But as it is, my kingdom is not here."  So Pilate said to him, "Then you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say I am a king. For this I was born and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice."

Jesus’ kingdom does not belong to this world and if we want to be part of it, then we cannot belong to this world either. We must foster within our souls a holy detachment from worldly things and people. Our trust should be in God and our energies should be focused on knowing, loving, and serving God and His children to the best of our abilities. We are also called to listen to God’s voice within our hearts and testify to the truth even if doing so causes us to be persecuted or undergo other troubles in our lives. It is far more important to suffer temporary trials and tribulations and become a child of God’s heavenly kingdom, then to be worldly creatures and suffer eternal separation from God because of our selfishness. As followers of Christ, we should always choose life with God over death in sin.

Do we believe Jesus is our King and Savior? How do we make our beliefs known through our thoughts, words, and works? Have we formed a spirit of holy detachment from the things and people of this world?

O Lord, you are our King and we belong to you.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment