Monday, February 15, 2016

The First Monday of Lent

“He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’

Eventually, we will either be sheep or goats. We will either fall on the right or left. There will be no middle ground for us to waffle on. In the end, we will either be wholly God's and bound to Heaven or wholly ourselves and doomed to destruction. And it all depends not only on how faithful we are to God, but also how loving and forgiving we are to others. Our acts of charity and mercy (or lack thereof) will define what we are and where we belong. Hopefully, they define us as loving Christians and faithful servants to God and His children.

Do we feed the hungry and give drink to the thirsty? Do we welcome strangers and clothe the naked? Do we care for the sick and visit those who are in prison?

O Lord, grant us the grace to be part of your faithful flock so that one day we might enjoy eternity with you in the pastures of paradise.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment