Monday, September 12, 2016

Twenty-Fourth Monday of Ordinary Time

"Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you enter under my roof. Therefore, I did not consider myself worthy to come to you; but say the word and let my servant be healed. For I too am a person subject to authority, with soldiers subject to me. And I say to one, 'Go,' and he goes; and to another, 'Come here,' and he comes; and to my slave, 'Do this,' and he does it." When Jesus heard this he was amazed at him and, turning, said to the crowd following him, "I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith."

None of us are worthy to have Jesus come under the roofs of our hearts. However, Jesus is not concerned with whether we are worthy or not, but rather whether we are contrite in seeking him out or not. If we are contrite and seek his healing for us or another, then he shall come to us and give us every grace we need to overcome our trials in this life. Contrition, obedience, and love are needed for us to be saved from eternal death. We cannot be contrite if we do not truly hope to amend our lives and follow God. We cannot be obedient if we do not have faith in and fidelity to God. We cannot love if we are not willing to do as God tells us through our consciences. All three are needed, faith, hope, and love and the greatest is love.

Even though we are unworthy of God's Love, are we open to its coming into our lives? Do we recognize God's authority over our thoughts, words, and works? Do we love others enough to seek God's help for them just as the centurion sought help for his servant?

O Lord, we are unworthy, but only say the word and we shall be healed.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment