Friday, November 4, 2016

Memorial of Saint Charles Borromeo, Bishop

A rich man had a steward who was reported to him for squandering his property. He summoned him and said, ‘What is this I hear about you? Prepare a full account of your stewardship, because you can no longer be my steward.’ The steward said to himself, ‘What shall I do, now that my master is taking the position of steward away from me? I am not strong enough to dig and I am ashamed to beg. I know what I shall do so that, when I am removed from the stewardship, they may welcome me into their homes.’

Unlike the steward, we don't need to lose our jobs in order to treat others fairly. Our charity should not come from selfish reasons. We should not expect a return on our good deeds. However, the steward does show us how to react prudently when faced with difficulties and to forgive the debts of others. He does the wise thing when he gives up his portion of each debt so those whom are indebted to his master will welcome him for his generosity. Sometimes we are tempted to demand repayment for something or hold it over people, but this is not what Jesus preaches. He teaches us to forgive other's debts to us so that our own debts might be forgiven. We cannot be a collector and a forgiver at the same time. We have to choose if our lives will be base on taking what we want or on giving what we have.

Do we treat others fairly? Are we charitable and forgiving? Are we prudent in how we treat others?

O Lord, we are willing to forgive the debts of others. Please be willing to forgive our debts as well.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment