Thursday, June 22, 2017

Eleventh Thursday of Ordinary Time

I plundered other churches by accepting from them in order to minister to you. And when I was with you and in need, I did not burden anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied my needs. So I refrained and will refrain from burdening you in any way. By the truth of Christ in me, this boast of mine shall not be silenced in the regions of Achaia. And why? Because I do not love you? God knows I do!

As we go through life, we should strive to take care of ourselves so that we can take care of others. We should do everything we can to avoid being a burden on anyone. Will there be times when we are in need of help? Yes, and when those times comes we shouldn’t deny others acts of charity toward us, but once our needs are met and our challenges overcome than we should seek to be givers, not receivers. In this way, we imitate Christ who was the ultimate giver, sacrificing himself for our good and salvation. Let us remember, we become the most Christ-like when we perform acts of love and mercy.

Are we striving to be givers, while being open to help when we need it? In what ways do we take care of others? How can we become more self-sacrificial and less of a burden on others?

O Lord, make us into givers of your love, mercy, and grace.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment