Saturday, June 24, 2017

Solemnity of the Nativity of Saint John the Baptist

The LORD called me from birth, from my mother’s womb he gave me my name. He made of me a sharp-edged sword and concealed me in the shadow of his arm. He made me a polished arrow, in his quiver he hid me. You are my servant, he said to me, Israel, through whom I show my glory.

We are called from birth to be instruments of God’s Will. We are called to sharpen our minds, wills, spirits, and even our bodies so we can do what God asks us to do. He wants us to polish these things so that we can be intelligent, disciplined, loving, and mortified. Why? Because with intelligence, we gain understanding of the truths of our faith. With discipline, we learn to tame our passions, keep the commandments, fast, and pray each and every day. With love, we become selfless and sacrificial people, who give alms, act with charity and mercy, and do good works. With mortification, we learn to control our physical appetites so we become healthier and more effective tools for God. Taken together, all these things give us the graces and gifts we need to be good and faithful servants, revealing God’s Glory through everything we think, say, and do.

How can we sharpen our minds so we can grow in faith? How can we sharpen our wills and spirits so we might choose to live wisely and well and love with all our hearts? How can we sharpen our bodies so they are healthy and used in ways that increase our faith, hope, and love?

O Lord, may our lives reveal your glory.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment