Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Memorial of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Should I thus pretend for the sake of a brief moment of life, they would be led astray by me, while I would bring shame and dishonor on my old age. Even if, for the time being, I avoid the punishment of men, I shall never, whether alive or dead, escape the hands of the Almighty. Therefore, by manfully giving up my life now, I will prove myself worthy of my old age, and I will leave to the young a noble example of how to die willingly and generously for the revered and holy laws.

When we are faced with choices in this life, we need to think not only of the effect our decision will have on us, but also on others. What people see us do influences them, especially the young, who are impressionable. If they see us take the easy way out or use deception to get what we want, then they will carry that lesson into their lives. We might not even know how our sins effect them in this life, but when we die God will show us how we lead others astray. At the same time, if we do good and avoid evil, then we give others an example of what it means to be Christian. We show them how to live our lives in imitation of Jesus and to be not afraid to become living sacrifices to God’s Glory.

Do we think about others before we make our decisions? How can we live lives that model what it means to be Christians? What can we do to show others, especially the young how to know, love, and serve God and His children?

O Lord, make us into noble examples of how to sacrifice ourselves for you.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment