Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Memorial of Saint Maximilian Kolbe, Priest and Martyr

He said to me: Son of man, eat what is before you; eat this scroll, then go, speak to the house of Israel. So I opened my mouth and he gave me the scroll to eat. Son of man, he then said to me, feed your belly and fill your stomach with this scroll I am giving you. I ate it, and it was as sweet as honey in my mouth. He said: Son of man, go now to the house of Israel, and speak my words to them.

The Word of God can nourish and sustain us if we allow it into our hearts. There is a feast of virtue contained within the pages of the Bible. There is a banquet of goodness set before us in the teachings of Christ. We are all asked to partake in this meal through the Liturgies of the Word and the Eucharist. Both mind and body are fed at the celebration of the Mass and we would do well not to starve ourselves of their bountiful fruits. Through the reading of the Scriptures and the sharing of the Blessed Sacrament, we are given heavenly foods that are sweeter than any honey and more fulfilling than any food.

Do we read Scripture every day and allow God to nourish our souls through His Divine Word? Do we make every effort to receive the Body and Blood of Christ whenever we can? Are we willing to bear God’s Good News to all, even if it means being persecuted for it?

O Lord, give us the good food of your Divine Word.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment