Saturday, November 10, 2018

Memorial of Saint Leo the Great, Pope and Doctor of the Church

Not that I say this because of need, for I have learned, in whatever situation I find myself, to be self-sufficient. I know indeed how to live in humble circumstances; I know also how to live with abundance. In every circumstance and in all things I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need. I have the strength for everything through him who empowers me. Still, it was kind of you to share in my distress.

Paul is grateful to the Philippians for all the help they have given to him. He rejoices in their charity, even though he doesn’t need it. He sees their generosity and kindness as profitable for their own souls. This is how we should react to other people’s kindness to us. We should be grateful for it, but strive to be self-sufficient and to live in humble circumstances. We should be the same person whether we live in abundance or in need. No matter our situation, we should place our trust in God and be willing to go where He needs us to go, do what He needs us to do, and carry the crosses we need to carry.

Do we thank others for the help they’ve given us? How can we learn to live in humble circumstances? What can we do to become self-sufficient in, through, with, and for Christ?

O Lord, give us the strength for everything.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment