Thursday, November 15, 2018

Thirty-Second Thursday in Ordinary Time

I have experienced much joy and encouragement from your love, because the hearts of the holy ones have been refreshed by you, brother. Therefore, although I have the full right in Christ to order you to do what is proper, I rather urge you out of love, being as I am, Paul, an old man, and now also a prisoner for Christ Jesus. I urge you on behalf of my child Onesimus, whose father I have become in my imprisonment, who was once useless to you but is now useful to both you and me.

Although God could force us to do what is right, He doesn't. He lets us make good and bad choices out of respect for our free will. This doesn't mean He fails to give us guidance. Far from it! He has given us a conscience to warn us against evil. He has given us His Holy Spirit to empower us to live our faith with hope and love. He has poured out His saving graces upon us through His Beloved Son, Jesus. He has the full right in Christ to order us to do what is proper, but He wants us to do what is right out of love and not just obligation. We might not always understand why God asks certain things of us, but He always asks for what's best for all His children. It might involve some sacrifice on our part, but in the end what we give up will pale in comparison to the consolations we will receive in Heaven for being a good and faithful servant to God and His children.

How can we prepare ourselves to do what is right? In what ways can we learn to be more attentive to our consciences and the guidance of the Holy Spirit? Are we willing to give up our time, talents, and treasures to do God's Will?

O Lord, out of love we give ourselves to you and your Divine Will.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment