Saturday, December 24, 2016

Fourth Saturday of Advent

“Go, tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the LORD: Should you build me a house to dwell in? “‘It was I who took you from the pasture and from the care of the flock to be commander of my people Israel.  I have been with you wherever you went, and I have destroyed all your enemies before you. And I will make you famous like the great ones of the earth. I will fix a place for my people Israel; I will plant them so that they may dwell in their place without further disturbance. Neither shall the wicked continue to afflict them as they did of old, since the time I first appointed judges over my people Israel. I will give you rest from all your enemies.

David wants to build a house for the Lord, but God makes clear He doesn't need one. Sure, David had good intentions, but God reminds him God is not looking for a place to live outside the hearts and minds of his followers. He already lives in Heaven and wants us to join him there. He doesn't need an earthly home with us when He has already prepared a far better one with Him. It is up to us to prepare ourselves to join Him. We do this best by doing good, avoiding evil, trusting in God in our times of affliction, and ultimately resting in the palms of His Hands.

How are we preparing ourselves for Heaven? What can we do to help others reach the Promised Land, too? Are we allowing God to dwell within and work through us?

O Lord, give us rest with you in Heaven.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment