Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Feast of Saint Luke, evangelist

At my first defense no one appeared on my behalf, but everyone deserted me. May it not be held against them! But the Lord stood by me and gave me strength, so that through me the proclamation might be completed and all the Gentiles might hear it.

Sometimes we can forget the saints lived regular lives, just like us. They had friends and enemies and weren’t saints from the start, but rather became saints by how they dealt with their trials in this life and treated others. They experienced abandonment, betrayal, and harm. They also received support and help. The way they got through the ups and downs of their lives is the same way we do. They put their trust in the Lord and allowed Him to lend them strength. They proclaimed the Gospels through thoughts, words, and works so all could hear and witness the Way, the Truth, and the Life of Christ through them. It was not easy and required many sacrifices, but in the end they understood it was only by walking in the footsteps of Jesus that they could arrive at the Promised Land.

Who are our friends and enemies? Do we treat them as Jesus would? Do we trust God to give us the strength we need to overcome all our trials?

O Lord, give me the strength to proclaim your Good News through my every thought, word, and work.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment