Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Memorial of Saint Francis of Assisi

Though I was seized with great fear, I answered the king: "May the king live forever! How could I not look sad when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been eaten out by fire?" The king asked me, "What is it, then, that you wish?" I prayed to the God of heaven and then answered the king: "If it please the king, and if your servant is deserving of your favor, send me to Judah, to the city of my ancestors' graves, to rebuild it."

God wants us to be happy. He wants to give us what we need to succeed in our spiritual lives. He is constantly asking us, “What is it, then that you wish?” Not for us to answer in worldly terms or to make selfish requests, but rather to prayerfully ask for the thoughts, words, and works that will help us to build up the temples within our souls. He wants us to discern with Him what are the most important aspects of our lives so we know where we wants us to go and what He wants us to do. We can’t do that if we are paralyzed with fears, doubts, and distractions. However, if we answer His call and pray for guidance, He will lead us where we need to be and inspire us to say and do what is in accord with His Will.

How can we overcome our fears and answer God’s call to follow Him? What is it that God wishes for us? What can we do to discern God’s Will in our lives?

O Lord, help us to wish for what is right and good.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment