Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Tuesday of Holy Week

Simon Peter said to him, “Master, where are you going?” Jesus answered him, “Where I am going, you cannot follow me now, though you will follow later.” Peter said to him, “Master, why can I not follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.” Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Amen, amen, I say to you, the cock will not crow before you deny me three times.”

Many things are easier said than done and following Jesus is one of the most difficult things we will ever do in our lives. When we follow in Jesus’ footsteps, we will face many questions, obstacles, and dark nights of the soul. At first, we might believe we can handle whatever comes our way. However, if we depend upon ourselves and our false sense of security, then we will be tempted and fall into sin. And like Peter, we will also have a lapse in judgment and deny God by our thoughts, words, or works. Thankfully, we have the sacrament of reconciliation and can make amends for our failings by once again proclaiming our love for God and seeking His Divine Mercy. Then, we will be given another chance to be faithful followers of Christ and live out our lives as humble servants of His Divine Will.

Are we following in Jesus’ footsteps? What are the obstacles in the way of our spiritual progress? How can we make up for our failures and return to God’s good graces?

O Lord, give us the strength we need to lay down our lives for you and your children.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment