Saturday, July 14, 2018

Fourteenth Saturday in Ordinary Time

Then one of the seraphim flew to me, holding an ember that he had taken with tongs from the altar. He touched my mouth with it and said, "See, now that this has touched your lips, your wickedness is removed, your sin purged." Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? Who will go for us?" "Here I am," I said; "send me!"

Here I am, send me. These are the words all of us should have on our lips at all times. And, like Isaiah, we also need to be cleansed of our sins if we want to be able to succeed in our mission. We must be purged of all those fears, doubts, evils, and indifferences that keep us from being good and faithful servants to God. Yes, we can do good even as sinners, but we do a greater good if we can perform our works of charity and mercy while in a state of grace. Just as a bell rings out louder when it is unmuffled, so too our thoughts, words, and deeds ring truer and have greater effect when they are untarnished by our sins and imperfections. So, let us allow God to purge us of our sins through the sacrament of reconciliation so we might be better prophets of His Holy Word.

Do we take advantage of our opportunities to receive the sacrament of reconciliation? Are we willing to allow God to send us where He needs us? What can we do to become better prophets of the Good News?

O Lord, purge us from our sins.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment