Sunday, July 8, 2018

Fourteenth Sunday in Ordinary Time

Three times I begged the Lord about this, that it might leave me, but he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me. Therefore, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

No one is immune to suffering and weakness, especially the followers of Christ. As God tells Paul, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.” This revelation can be difficult to accept when we are going through trials and tribulations, mockery and persecution, and all manner of hardships. However, it is true. God’s Grace is always sufficient. He gives us exactly what we need to overcome our difficulties... perhaps not always in a physical way, but always in a spiritual one. At the same time, our weaknesses do indeed perfect our power, our gifts, and our talents because they remind us to be humble and depend upon God. Without our weaknesses, we would believe ourselves sufficient and turn away from God. And so, although we might not understand why a particular trouble should befall us, we should be able to understand our trials are not meant to break us, but to perfect us in faith, hope, and love.

What trials are we facing today? Have we called upon God’s Help in overcoming them? Are we willing to suffer them until the end of our days if doing so would be for the greatest service to God and others?

O Lord, your grace is truly sufficient for all of us.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment