Sunday, September 30, 2018

Twenty-Fifth Wednesday in Ordinary Time

Two things I ask of you, deny them not to me before I die: Put falsehood and lying far from me, give me neither poverty nor riches; provide me only with the food I need; Lest, being full, I deny you, saying, "Who is the LORD?" Or, being in want, I steal, and profane the name of my God.

Falsehood and lying can start out small, but they are the types of sins that multiply, weighing us down with unnecessary anxieties and worries. Often when we lie, we become fearful of being found out and so we create bigger and bigger lies that eventually strangle our relationships with God and others. Our falsehoods bury us and make us unable to be ourselves anymore. Our pride and insecurities can also cause us to sin, too. Pride can convince us we are right and good when in reality we are wrong and evil. We can be convinced of our own righteousness and superiority, but that is the Devil leading us astray. Our confidence should not be in ourselves, but in God, who provides all graces and good things for us. Our doubts, fears, worries, and anxieties can also lead us astray. They can erode our confidence in God’s Goodness and in our worth as His children. They can make us feel abandoned and tempt us to abandon God. However, nothing should make us feel totally unworthy of God’s Love. Yes, we are sinners and unworthy for Jesus to enter under the roofs of our souls, but Christ has given us the Divine Word and if we accept it and live it out, then our souls shall be healed.

How can we resist all temptations to falsehood and lying? What can we do to cultivate humble hearts rooted in the love of God and neighbor? How can we guard against the doubts that try to creep into our lives and tempt us to abandon God?

O Lord, give us truthful and trusting hearts.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment