Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Twenty-Fourth Wednesday in Ordinary Time

Strive eagerly for the greatest spiritual gifts. But I shall show you a still more excellent way. If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge; if I have all faith so as to move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is the greatest of spiritual gifts and the pinnacle of virtue. With faith we can move mountains, with love we can move the world. Love of God and neighbor must be at the heart of our every thought, word, and work. Without love, our faith rings hollow, our knowledge is made foolish, and our sacrifices are worthless. God so loved the world He gave us His Beloved Son to show us how to love more perfectly. He also gave us the Holy Spirit to guide our love. If we do not have love, then we are nothing. But with true and holy love, we shall become everything God desires us to be.

Are our lives guided by the example of God's Love as shown to us through the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit? What can we do to cultivate the virtue of love and grow in the spiritual graces that blossom from it? How can we better know, love, and serve God and all His children?

O Lord, show us the more excellent way of love and give us the graces we need to follow it forever.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment