Thursday, October 4, 2018

Memorial of Saint Francis of Assisi

Oh, would that my words were written down! Would that they were inscribed in a record: That with an iron chisel and with lead they were cut in the rock forever! But as for me, I know that my Vindicator lives, and that he will at last stand forth upon the dust; Whom I myself shall see: my own eyes, not another's, shall behold him, And from my flesh I shall see God; my inmost being is consumed with longing.

If we are faithful to God, even in times of trouble and suffering, then He will be our Vindicator. He will give us every grace we need to overcome our trials and be victorious in our spiritual lives. Even though we might lose all our worldly goods and companions, if we remain true to Him, then we shall see Him in Heaven for the rest of eternity. Our very being should be consumed with longing for this union with Him. Our every thought, word, and work should have God as their source, center, and summit in God. They should all be leading us closer and closer to eternal life with Him.

Are our lives consumed with longing to be with God forever and ever? How can we be more faithful to God in times of trial as well as times of plenty? In what ways can we live our lives so our every thought, word, and work will lead us closer to eternal life?

O Lord, make our hearts into tablets inscribed with your Living Word.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment