Monday, October 8, 2018

Twenty-Seventh Monday in Ordinary Time

Am I now currying favor with human beings or God? Or am I seeking to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a slave of Christ. Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the Gospel preached by me is not of human origin. For I did not receive it from a human being, nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

Being a slave of Christ won’t win us any popularity contests in the world. As followers of Christ, we are walking signs of contradiction to all the worldly stands for. It should come as no surprise that because of this we cannot please everyone. Spreading the Good News and proclaiming the Way, the Truth, and the Life of Jesus will cause trials for us. However, we should not concern ourselves with currying favor with other people. God is the only one we need to please and we do that best when we are willing to sacrifice all we have to accomplish His Good Will.

Are we currying favor with others or with God? Are we willing to suffer the dislike and persecution of others in order to follow God’s Will? How can we live as more faithful slaves to Jesus Christ?

O Lord, we desire to please you above all else.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment