Friday, October 5, 2018

Twenty-Sixth Friday in Ordinary Time

Then Job answered the LORD and said: Behold, I am of little account; what can I answer you? I put my hand over my mouth. Though I have spoken once, I will not do so again; though twice, I will do so no more.

There is always the temptation to complain about our lot in life. When things aren’t going as we planned, we try to find someone or something to blame. We might even be tempted to blame God for our sufferings. However, the sin of pride is the root of complaining, “Why me?” This self-centeredness tries to convince us we know better than God. If only we had the power, we’d make everything right. This is what Adam and Eve thought when they reached for the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil. They wanted to be the judges of right and wrong, but their pride led them into sin and exile from the Garden of Eden. Instead of complaining or thinking we know best, we should make ourselves humble before God. We, like Job, should recognize our littleness and put a hand over our mouths so we can stifle our complaints before they are spoken. Then, perhaps we shall hear the truth God is speaking to us through the Gospels and the traditions of the Church.

Do we think we know better than God what is good for us? How can we become humbler in spirit and accepting of the sacrifices being asked of us? How can we avoid complaining and instead give God glory, honor, and praise?

O Lord, strip us of our petty complaints and clothe us in humility.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment