Wednesday, December 5, 2018

First Wednesday of Advent

I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. In verdant pastures he gives me repose; Beside restful waters he leads me; he refreshes my soul.

The house of the Lord can reside in our hearts as well as the Church. Our hearts, which may be unworthy mangers, can be made worthy to receive Jesus through the sacrament of reconciliation. We can clean out all our old ways and give Christ a place to lay his head when he comes to us in the sacrament of communion. By making our hearts into his home, we open ourselves to all the graces God has prepared for us. He grants us his protection. He gives us repose and inner peace. He leads us to the life-giving waters of love and mercy. He refreshes our souls through His Divine Presence. He makes us into living temples, shining His Light upon the world around us and leading others to rest in Him.

Are we willing to clean out all those things that prevent God from living within us? How can we cleanse ourselves, like Joseph and Mary cleansed and made ready the manger before Christ's birth? What can we do to prepare ourselves to be dwelling places of our Savior and our God?

O Lord, dwell within us and make us holy.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment