Wednesday, April 27, 2016

The Fifth Wednesday of Easter

I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. Anyone who does not remain in me will be thrown out like a branch and wither; people will gather them and throw them into a fire and they will be burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.

Jesus should be the source, center, and summit of our lives. It is from him that we are given the graces, which sustain us through good and bad. It is in him that we find the truths that our lives should be founded upon. It is through him that we find our ultimate purpose and fulfillment. It is when we are most closely connected to Christ that we bear fruitful thoughts, words, and works. We can do nothing separated from him. When we sin we weaken our roots and wither spiritually. If the sin is terrible enough, we can even sever our ties to God and be left with no foundation, no strength, and no fruits. If we do fall into temptation and sin, we should seek to re-graft ourselves to God through the sacrament of reconciliation. When we strive to remain in Jesus and let his words remain in us, we glorify God through our every action, bear much fruit, and become his good and faithful disciples.

Are our lives as connected to Christ as they should be? Do our every thought, word, and work find their source, center, and summit in God? What can we do to bear more spiritual fruit for God and His children?

O Lord, we glorify you. Give us the grace to bear much fruit and become your disciples.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment